Friday, June 27, 2008

Venting/Blessing

I need to vent. This isn't anything I would usually put in my blog, but it's been on my mind lately and I needed to get it down into words.

Have you ever had something brought to your attention and you just can't let go of it? Well, the other day it was brought to my attention that my children have not seen their father in 18 months. Their father is in South Carolina, only a six hour drive away. He never calls them, never sends birthday or Christmas cards. The last time they received a gift from their father Steven was five and twins three.

Sam and I have tried our best to make him a part of their lives but it's always on his conditions or none at all. Every Sunday I have them call their dad. They know they can call anytime they want but Sunday is the day I make sure they talk to him. His favorite line is, "I support them with child support." Child support that I had to go to court to get garnished out of his wages. For anyone who has children: please tell me what $200.00 every two weeks does for three kids? Most of the time it goes straight to the school for field trips, lunches, musical instruments. On a positive note, I do know he loves them but he just doesn't show it all the time.

Before I start getting comments saying, poor Darlene, STOP!!! I was a single mom for six years before Sam came along. My children know what love is and what families are about. All families are not made of Daddy, Mommie, children, two dogs, three cats and a white picket fence. My children know that love also comes from grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, and the man upstairs.

Now onto the blessing! Venting is a terrible thing to do when you have so much to be blessed for. I have said it a million times and will continue to say it: Sam is truly sent from God. I prayed long and hard for God to send me a good man for me and my children. I wanted a man who loved me for me, inside and out. Someone to be a friend and father figure in my children's lives. Someone who wanted to help guide the kids to be the best they can. Someone to love their downfalls and their wonderful giving hearts. Someone who can look at them and say there may be no blood relationship but there are so many heartstrings attached--those are MY CHILDREN!

It's so true, the old saying "Anyone can be a father but it takes a real man to be a Daddy". Sam isn't taking their father away from them. He is there to catch them when they fall, or fly too high, or just need a hug. Sam, I love you so much and I am so grateful to have you in my life, not just for the kids but for me too.

I know Sam mentioned on his blog about losing his job. In times like this most people wonder how you can say you're blessed. Well, I woke up this morning next to a wonderful man who gives me more from his heart than money can buy. I have wonderful children, even when they are screaming or fighting with one another. We have understanding and loving parents. Plus, with a cute dog like Gracie who wouldn't be Blessed!

1 comment:

rakethetable said...

Their are blessing all along the path of life.