Sunday, February 18, 2007

Little Gracie

Our little Gracie was spayed on Friday. This was her first time away from us since we got her. OMG!!!! It was terrible! I never thought in my life I would be so attached to an animal. It's just like having another child. Sam took her to the vet on Friday morning, Lord knows I couldn't have done it. I probably would have ended up in the same cage and refusing to go home. I sent her a shoulder bag with her name on it--GRACIE BRADY.  It had her Dora blanket and her rabbit who has no face, her favorite Iams food and some puppy chow she loves, plus a list of questions for Sam to ask the Vet. You know, basic questions: how long the surgery wuill take, will you call us, can we call and check on her, will anyone spend the night with her--just typical motherly questions. Of course I cried when I left for work. I knew she would be okay, but it's still my baby. I don't think it really hit me until bedtime, when there wasn't a little wet-nosed dog laying between me and Sam. All I could think about is my baby in a cage (when she had never been in one before)--cold, lonely, starving, no one to love her.
 
The next morning we called as soon as they opened. They said we could pick her up at 10:00 a.m. So off we go to get Gracie. The whole family went. I think we scared the receptionist when we walked in the door. Sam, Sage, Steven, Jewel, Jessica and myself go marching in to pick up an 11 pound puppy. They got nervous and called for Gracie right away. Sage sat down and began to watch cartoons. The rest of us stood anxiously at the door waiting for the smallest peek of her face. Here she came, tail wagging out of control, licking, and whining for us. The doc said keep her calm and don't let her run, jump, or play too much. I was like, remember Gracie is daschund/ Jack Russell. Don't think that will happen.
 
Our baby is home happy. She's a little slower than usual but I am sure after a couple pain pills she won't care what she does. It still amazes me about the pain medicine they give dogs. I hope she doesn't get addicted to them. Wonder if they have rehab for dogs coming off painkillers. Hey, she's been on them since the tail incident . Who knows, she might meet Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan in rehab. HA HA!
 
It could happen.
 
Take care until next time!
 
LOVE
Darlene

No comments: